Monday 4 April 2022

THE RIVETING DELICACIES OF AFRICAN LITERATURE!

By Mathibeli George Rampai
Growing up in the dusty streets of Manyetseng, Ladybrand in the then Orange Free State Province (South Africa) wasn't easy. As expected, we grew up without electricity and other basic necessities, and initially without the library and other recreational facilities, just a few open fields where we would hone our football skills late in the afternoon. (That's all we could do as there were no other facilities) As Africans, storytelling has always been part of our culture, during the night; we would sit outside around the cackling woodfire and listen to our maternal grandmother narrating folktales to us. This became a norm to us as there was nothing else to do, as households with Television sets were so few in those days. When I grew older, my mother managed to buy a small radio that worked on batteries. We would sit around the table in a dim candle lit room and listen to the stories on the radio. Or my older brother would sometimes read the stories to us from the magazines like PACE, BONA, and HUISGENOOT (an Afrikaans magazine) that my mother brought along from her white employers in town. Later, when the library was built, we would flock to it out of excitement and curiosity. I would borrow all kind of books, but the ones that got my attention were those of African writers. I remember reading the Sesotho version of The Merchant of Venice, called Mohwebi wa Vernice, the translated version of William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. I was very much impressed by the way Mr. K. E Ntsane translated it. I even asked my teacher to narrate the book in front of the whole class. That's how I developed the love for African literature. While exploring, I came across the books of South African writers like J. J Moiloa, K. P. D Maphalla, K. E Ntsane, Ntate Ngcangca, Thabonyane Mafata, Suzan Sefatsa, Fanie Mokoena and many others. And I also happen to come across the extract of the legendary Nigerian writer, Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart. The book is beautifully woven around Okwonko, who deeply believed in the culture and traditional way of doing things. My interest grew and I wanted to know more about other African writers, that's how I came across The African Writers' Series and Pacesetters!
Among them, I can point out writers like Peter Katuliiba, Victor Thorpe, Kalu Okpi, Buchi Emecheta, Mongo Beti, and Rosina Umelo, just to mention a few. Then I came across Omoseyi Bolaji, the Nigerian-born wordsmith, a poet, essayist, playwright, and a novelist. I even had the opportunity of meeting him live, what a nice and very knowledgeable humble man. Among his many books, The people of The Township and Impossible Love left a very indelible mark on me. Later I came across his Tebogo Mokoena Series. The books are about a suave private investigator named Tebogo Mokoena, the first installment, Tebogo Investigates, left many of us gaping and asking for more, hence he came up with many more like Tebogo Fails, Tebogo and The Haka, Tebogo and The Bacchae, Tebogo and the Epithalamion,Tebogo and the Pathologist, and Tebogo and Uriah Heep, and his latest book, Books Bards And Barbs. Wow! A masterpiece, a good work of art!
African Literature is by far growing in leaps and bounds!
* George Rampai is the award winning author of, From Where I Stand

11 comments:

  1. What an excellent new piece! Kudos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Ntate Rampai! An excellent author indeed

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exhilarating wordsmith, Sir George. Readable feature here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, it sure is illuminating seeing the beginnings, the motivations, early readings, of key African writers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Revealing, stimulating ... also thought provoking

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to learn about our writers, what motivated and sparked off their creativity from a young age, their general background and vista. Thank you for this contribution, Mr Rampai (an award-winning author)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ntate Rampai story is very exhilarating and he has done a lot for development and growth of literature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please we need readers and authors especially in Sesotho and South African languages scarce in print. The future leaders should grow up reading their own language to their heart's desire. Thank you for the article Ntate Rampai, continue the good work

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting to read about the humble beginnings of the author of a masterpiece like From where I Stand

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see how writers inspire each other. I loved thge African Writers series too

    ReplyDelete